Thursday, March 15, 2007

In an effort to deter terrorist from attacking our MRT trains, the law enforcers have been stationing guards to patrol the trains. However, can the mere presence of 4 baton wielding guards do anything? Not, in my opinion. Why do I say so? Firstly, I frequently see them holding their hand phone sms-ing, paying more attention to the little gadget on their hands rather than surveying the train for suspicious characters. Secondly, they don’t give me an impression that they are alert. Whenever I look at them, they have this permanent glassy look in their eyes, perhaps they are sleeping with their eye lids open?! They don’t have the alertness of a prowler, ever ready to pounce on anyone threatening to blow up our facilities.

Having said all this, maybe it is panopticon at its very best

No comments: