Sunday, June 19, 2005

"Pretties" in the Land of Smiles

My first contact with this noun, "Pretties" was 2 years ago when I first went to BKK's motorshow with Brownie and A. Who are the pretties? They are pretty Thai ladies who are on the higher end of the weighing scale. Instead of getting mega slim and attractive models to promote their brand of lorries, this company got the pretties to promote the heavy weights (pun intended)

Just now, I saw this documentary on the first dance troupe in Thailand made up of plump ladies. Some were pleasant looking, others less. As they were dancing away on the stage, the audience were covering their mouth and bending over with laughter. Was their performance that exhilarating or it was their jiggling fats? I think it was the latter.

Being in the same catergory as them, I suffered silently for many years. When I was in my teens, it was worse with my superthick lens. Now, my contacts are able to give me most of my confidence back. Body image is extremely important to the self esteem of an individual. When you look good, you feel good and you are confident. Like what Simone De Beauvoir said, "To lose confidence in one's body is to lose confidence in oneself." I don't score lowly on Rosenberg's self esteem scale because I believe that besides body image, there are many factors that contribute to self confidence. Hiak!

ALSO, there will be a day when people notice me because of my brains and not because I am hard to miss due to my size.

No comments: