Wednesday, July 11, 2007

5 and a half working days left

Ok, today is the start of my counting down. My last day in my organisation will be on 20 July 2007. My plan for today is to finish my data analysis for an evaluation study for a group work and to commence on the self-mutilation concept paper.

Very excited as I ran the analysis for the evaluation study. My heart was pounding very loudly. I pressed the ‘run’ function gingerly in SPSS, I did not dare to look at the output table that popped out almost instantaneously. The output table flashed urgently at my screen, as if it was screaming at me, calling for attention. Taking a deep breath, I scrolled down and peered at the table with one eye closed. You guys must be thinking that porkie is one crazy pig. It is only data, why get so excited? Well I guess this is why I love research, it gives you the kick and sets your adrenalin pumping. The feeling is so so SHIOK!! Ok..ok.., back to the data analysis….

I was expecting that the results will not turn out positively since I had to discard quite a large number of outliers. Contrary to my expectations, the results were encouraging. The youth showed improvement in all aspects that we sought to measure. That was good news and definitely very encouraging for the social workers running that group work. Ok, end of my first two hours of work in office.

Next, I had to prepare appreciation letters to send out to the various panel members of a research study. This marked the end of the one and a half year long research study on SSSWSG. This is a real painful study.

My afternoon was spent writing up the self-mutilation concept paper. Not very difficult to write because I had done the background literature review. Although I had all the information needed, the paper is taking a rather long time to take shape. Maybe because my mind was groggy from the cold that I am nursing, maybe because my train of thought was constantly interrupted from the endless phone calls that no one in the office seem to be picking up, apart from SH and CG.

No comments: