Friday, August 01, 2008

31st July

Characters involved:
a) Supreme commander - Jac
b) Asst commander - Mum
c) Transport Chief - Dad
d) DVD Chief - Bro

This was the day of Isaac's op. After the experience I had at the radiology centre, I was well equipped with tools to humour Isaac after his op. I dread the screaming, twisting and turning with anger and frustration at the discomfort of the sedative. So that day I was prepared.

We left the house at about 8.15am. Reached MEH at about 8.35am. Went to register him for the day surgery and then waited at the ward for the surgery. As usual, he was all cranky when nurse came in to take his temperature, pulse and heart beat. At about 9.15am, we changed him into the operating gown and we were all set for 10am.

9.45am, nurse came and led us to the OT. Mum and I went with him. Bro and Dad stayed at the room. Nurse told me to change into the gown as I will be going in with him. She did not made herself clear so i thought i will be with him throughout the op. I started to get panicky and excited. Anyways, I soon realised that i needed to change cos I would be carrying Isaac when Dr Choo administered the GA. 9.55am , Dr Ho, Isaac's neurosurgeon arrived. He spoke to us briefly and then went in to get ready. By this time, Isaac was getting real sleepy. His nap time...

Soon, one by one the nurses who were involved in the op started to come out to the waiting room and played with Isaac. They made a mickey mouse out of the surgical gloves. 10.10am, Isaac and I went in. The staff nurse made Isaac go into the room slowly, telling him that she was a magician and could make the door open by itself (the automatic door of the OT)and distracting him with tricks...

Isaac could sense that they were 'up to no good'. His eyes were super big and alert. The moment the gas came near to his nose, he struggled. We had to hold onto him real tight. But after 5 secs, he zzzzz-ed. I went out and changed out of the gown.

10.10.....10.40am.... 11am....time seemed to pass fast but why isn't the op done? Cos i remembered dr saying if there is no attachment to bone, it will only be half an hour's procedure...11.15am...still no sign...mum and i started to fidget and worry...then at 11.30am, boy boy was wheeled out to the recovery room. I heaved a sigh of relieve. Went out to grab a drink, when i came back, he just gained conscious and was crying.

I carried and comforted him. He was drifting in and out of sleep. Effects of GA. Nurse and dr came out and sed that it was a clean cut, no attachment to bone, everything was fine. 11.45am , back to the ward. 12pm, dr came to tell me what happend in OT and sed it was a dermoid cyst as predicted but to play safe we will send it for lab test. 1pm, dr came again to check on Isaac. Everything was fine, Isaac was discharged.

FINALLY IT WAS OVER.....NOW THE ROAD TO RECOVERY......

No comments: