Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Life, does it have any meaning?

What is the reason for our presence on this earth?

For ourselves, our loved ones, for money, for society, for food, for work, for fun, for religious purpose or because we don't have a choice cos we don't chose to be born?

Few nights ago, I was lying in bed, trying to imagine what it means to be dead. I stopped breathing, shut off all noise with my small pillow and laid still. As I laid down there, pretending to be dead, there was no longer a griping fear in my heart (I tried this exercise when I was in Primary school and I was so frightened that I cried). Why? Why was there a change in reaction? I thought to myself for days. Maybe because after 20 something years, I have live life, seen life, love life and experience life, many of my goals are fulfilled. But of course, I still have some unfulfilled ones but compared to when I was a kid.....*smile

All humans go through this cycle - we are born, we live and we died. Given this cycle, many of us chose death as a solution to our life problems. But what makes dying so frightening is that when you lay on your deathbed, you have regrets, you have goals unfulfilled. If goals are our reason for existence, why chose death if they are unfulfilled?

We should be glad that we are now standing on this planet, living in our community, and given a chance to fulfil our life goals. We must make our existence worth. Agree?

It is up to us to make meaning out of our life.

"The meaning of life is not to be discovered only after death in some hidden, mysterious realm; on the contrary, it can be found by eating the succulent fruit of the Tree of Life and by living in the here and now as fully and creatively as we can." - Paul Kurtz

No comments: