Friday, June 22, 2007

Consumerism

I was introduced to this book, Michel Ende’s Mo Mo by one of my colleague. Nice story. It is about the concept of time and how it is used by modern societies.. The theme is something which we can relate to. However, I find that it is a bit too profound to be labeled as a children’s fiction. Nevertheless, the situation that Ende described in that world is so similar to our world. Work so hard, no time left to yourself and your loved ones and unable to appreciate the things in life. The characters in the story had their time sucked dry by the time thieves. Although their first intention was to have more time for other times and trying to deposit time (saving their time) with the Timesaving bank. The irony of it is that they end up having lesser and lesser time. Taking a step deeper (or what sociologists term as sociological imagination), is it really about time saving? I would like to think that it is more of human’s greed and their insatiable desire for material comforts. And the root cause of this? I think it is consumerism. I am too a slave to consumerism. However, I will definitely make time for my loved ones and family. These ties are just too precious to be torn apart by the big C.

No comments: